Saturday, December 1, 2012

Light up the night

December 1st

It's getting colder every day, and it feels like we're speeding towards the end of the year. It's the last chance to enjoy the autumn colours before the trees lose their leaves and the wind becomes icy and bitter (going to see the Christmas illuminations calls for heavy winter gear and a portable hot coffee or cocoa. How some of my friends manage the all night New Year's party at Disneyland is beyond me).

I'm often in Komagome for work, so last week I swung through Rikugien gardens on the way home. It's a lovely Edo period strolling garden with a man-made lake and tea houses dotted around. In Spring, it's popular for its beautiful shidare zakura, or weeping cherry blossom tree. In Autumn, it's full of red and orange maples. The park usually closes at 5pm (last entry at 4.30pm) but for a few weeks in Autumn and Spring, they do a "light-up", highlighting the beautiful trees, and staying open till 9pm.

There was a mix of camera enthusiasts with their tripods and couples going for a romantic after-work stroll. All the tea houses were open, offering seasonal sweets. On a weeknight, it was surprisingly uncrowded. It only costs 300 yen to enter (if you arrived around 4pm, you'd experience the sunset as well). I love Komagome  - it's a quiet, slightly expensive residential area, which means it has lots of lovely shops selling kimono, flowers or wagashi (check out Usagiya on the way to the park) and indigo-dyed goods. There are heaps of inviting little bistros for dinner, too.

The light-up at Rikugien is only on until December 9th - next Sunday. During the light-up period, the park gate nearest Komagome station is open. Usually, you have to walk around to the other side of the park (where there is an Anpan Man shop - which, if you have kids, might be a good thing or a bad thing). If you want to take good pictures, I'd recommend a tripod, because it is DARK. But, I managed these shots with my tiny digital camera, holding my breath.

You can see a live camera view of the park here - handy if you want to check the progress of autumn colours or cherry blossoms!













2 comments:

  1. It wasn't crowded? You make me want to go very badly, but I won't have a weekday opportunity till next Friday. I guess I could go tonight, but brrr, today is COLD! When I go on a nocturnal walkpedition to see the Christmas lights, it's always with *two* ski jackets. What can I say? I'm a sunny South African ...

    Thanks for the photos! Now I can enjoy the garden in the toasty warmth of the living room! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say it wasn't "too" crowded. It was a bit busy around the lake at first, but all the other paths were quiet. But yes, it is so cold now! You could get a big takeout hot cocoa from the Doutor on the corner... or just enjoy the photos! I'm from sunnier climes too - and glad to be getting out of here this Christmas. My first Ozzie summer Christmas in years (will probably rain though - Sydney weather has a way of disappointing!)

    ReplyDelete